Skills every Product Manager should have.
This is not a beginner series but a reminder note. Ever felt derailment in your trajectory? It is normal but what is not normal is losing the flavor that makes you a top-notch product manager.
You should check your list and ensure that you still fit perfectly well into this five skill set:
- Problem solving: How do you approach issues? How do you divide-conquer problems? Binary search is an approach that begins by comparing an element in the middle of the array with the target value. Apply an algorithmic approach to problem solving if need be. For me, I tend to write while solving problems. Detailing the problem like an essay and talking to myself in the process.
- Leadership: a leader is often termed a follower. Be patient with your team and show that leadership skill. Remember it is not by being tough but by being meticulous that you achieve better success.
- Analytical approach: apply strong analytical skills to issues.
- Prioritization: getting deliverables done and milestones met at the right time is not magic or miracle. In economics, it is a scale of preference.
- Communication and teamwork: the best part of leadership is how your team bonds. Team bonding is very important to any project. Hence, effective communication skills must be introduced for better team bonding. Having to single one person as the best in a group will always create a divide and yes competition but is it to your advantage (the product) or to it’s downfall or delay. Use the most effective communication skill to launch that product.
Go be the boss!